Having properly selected of 1,012 interesting entries in total, the New Man Writing Contest Organising Body thus confirms that these entries have made the final shortlist for 2019.
This shortlist is the final from three others and sieved out from the mass collection of 214 prose works, 161 drama/short plays, 346 poems and 291 Essays that were submitted as entries from across 58 secondary schools in Nigeria.
It has been a great privilege to read through miles in the minds of these young writers and select our final shortlist.
At the same time, we are greatly indebted to our volunteers, individuals and members of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), members of Poets In Nigeria (PIN), members of Creative Writers Association of Nigeria (CWAN) and other literary bodies that ensured the speedy selection of these works.
While we proceed to the final judgement stage where our diligent judges would make the top three selections, we congratulate and wish all shortlisted entrants the best in this last stage.
Here is the breakdown of received entries:
Poetry – 346
Prose – 214
Essays – 291
Drama – 161
Below are the final shortlisted works.
1. Aruwajoye Jumoke- All of Us (Poetry)
2. Heritage Toluwanimi- Heritage (Short Story)
3. Igube Samuel- Missing Dancers (Short Story)
4. Chinyere Ufuoma Richard- The Rise of a Giant (Essay)
5. Adewonuola Ifeoluwa Esther- My name is Africa (Poetry)
6. Eric Nnenna- Kindred (Poetry)
7. Iruoma Gabriel- Blood Banks (Poetry)
8. Adeniran Adeleke- African Heritage and Values (Essay)
9. Edechukwu Matthais- Africa: The future of Harms and Hopes (Essay)
10. Aderuwoye Omobola Faith – Of Lands and Cities (Poetry)
11. Egbedoyin Mayowa- The Sky is Blue (Poetry)
12. Odubanjo Felix- The Preacher (Play)
Congratulations Again! I wish you the best.
Nelson Vincent Ayomitunde,
President, New Man Movement.