Following Nigeria’s historic win at the 63rd edition of the Grammy Awards, we at www.247info9ja.com has made a compilation of other distinguished Nigerian musicians who have been nominated or won the award before.
Burna Boy’s Twice As Tall won the Best Global Album at the award ceremony held on Sunday, March 14 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
- Burna Boy popularly called The African giant was nominated twice; 2019, 2020. But eventually got the coveted Award for the Best Global Album at the 63rd edition.
- Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, known professionally as Wizkid, is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. One of Africa’s biggest artistes, Wizkid is the most decorated Nigerian artiste ever, and one of the most revolutionary Afro-pop artist of the modern era. He was nominated first at 59TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2016) for the Best Album of the Year and won BEST MUSIC VIDEO ‘Brown Skin Girl’ at the 63RD ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS (2021)
- King Sunny Ade popularly known as KSAwas nominated in the year 1983, 1998. His album odu was nominated for the Best world music Album ( Now called Best Global Album) in 1988 and BEST ETHNIC OR TRADITIONAL FOLK RECORDING in 1983 but never won.
- Kevin Olushola American- Nigerian musician, beatboxer, cellist, rapper, record producer, singer, and songwriter. Olusola is best known as the beatboxer of the Cappella band Pentatonix. The group has got 3 nominations to their name and won thrice as well; Pentatonix picked up their first career GRAMMY for Best Arrangement, Instrumental Or A Cappella for “Daft Punk” for 2014. The group won the same category the next year for “Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy. And also won BEST COUNTRY DUO/GROUP PERFORMANCE ‘Jolene” 2016
- Sade Adu born Helen Folasade Adu CBE, is a British-Nigerian singer, songwriter, and actress, known as the lead singer of her eponymous band. One of the most successful British female artists in history, she is often recognised as an influence on contemporary music. Sade has been nominated 8 times and won 4 which includes R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals 2011 ‘Soldier of love’, Pop Vocal Album2002 ‘Lovers Rock’, R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals 1994 ‘No Ordinary Love’, New artiste 1986.
- Femi Kuti born Olufela Olufemi Anikulapo Kuti, is a Nigerian musician born in London and raised in Lagos. He is the eldest son of Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti and a grandchild of political campaigner, women’s rights activist and traditional aristocrat Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti. Femi kuti has been nominated 4times.Years of nomination: 2003, 2010, 2012 and 2013 but have failed to win the award.
- Seal born Henry Olusegun Adeola Samuel, is a British-Nigerian singer-songwriter. He has sold over 20 million records worldwide, with his first international hit song, “Crazy”, released in 1991; his most celebrated song, “Kiss from a Rose”, was released in 1994. He has earned a whopping 15 times nomination and won 4times with 3 the song Kiss From A Rose in 1996 and another in 2011.
- Sikiru Adepoju is a percussionist and recording artist from Nigeria, primarily in the genres of traditional African music and world music. He plays a variety of instruments and styles. He was nominated for the part he played in the BEST CONTEMPORARY WORLD MUSIC ALBUM 2008. and won.
- Hakeem Temidayo Seriki, better known by his stage name Chamillionaire, is an American rapper and entrepreneur from Houston, Texas. His father originally came from Lagos, Nigeria. He was the founder and an original member of The Color Changin’ Click from 2001 until the group split in 2005. He earned two nominations for the BEST RAP SONG and BEST RAP PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP at the 49th edition. He eventually won the latter.
Culled from Wikipedia and grammy official website compiled by Kolawole Oluwapelumi an intellectual property of 247info9ja.